Zivijo! I'm Eva from Slovenia (not to be mistaken with Slovakia) and I'm an Erasmus exchange student - not an ordinary one though. Why? Check it out! ;)

domenica 25 novembre 2007

You Tube

Hmm... YouTube... I don't know, I'm a bit sceptical about it. I have always seen it as a place where people are free to put all sorts of videos, from really indecent ones to the most silly ones. And actually I didn't change my mind working on the E-tivity 7. It could be that it's my fault, because I'm probably not very skilled at searching. It took me so long to find an interesting video! Unfortunately, if a certain website doesn't help me to get to information quickly, I'm reluctant to use it. Wasting time is something I prefer avoiding. Furthermore, there is another drawback: Correct me, if I'm wrong, but on YouTube you can't filter the relevant videos from the stupid ones. There is some sort of rating, but people can rate highly a clip because it's amusing and not because it is useful for what you are looking for. I don't know, maybe I should have persisted on discovering the potentials of this tool a bit more.
However, I find TeacherTube much more appropriate for learning. At least it's not so crammed with dumb videos. I found a video on Web 2.0. It's about all the things we are doing in our course.

5 commenti:

vale ha detto...

Hi Eva!!
I really enjoyed the video u choose..now I know something more about ur country..thank u!
As far as the use of youtube is concerned I totally agree with u,above all because I found myself in troubles when I had to find an interesting video..I'm sure there are loads of useful and interesting clips..but u need a lot of time to find them..
Anyway If u have nothing else to do u can surely find something useful and amusing!!
see u!

Elisa rossi ha detto...

Hi Eva! as you can see, I have the same opinion about YouTube: it is difficult to find interesting and useful videos without spreading a lot of time...probably I'm like you: I hate spend too much time in searching something, I'm not so patient! However, I think we both should try to use Youtube as our group mates: watching TV episodes or music! It can be useful!!
See you!

Fred ha detto...

Hi Eva! I can understand that you may feel a little frustrated when you can't find good videos and spend a lot of time searching YouTube. This happens quite often, but I think it depends on what you are looking for. For example, when I search for music videos I can find whatever I need in the first ten links. Maybe it's different for other topics. I will see. I agree with you when yo usay that sometimes you find more stupid videos than interesting or cultural ones. Now I go visit your blog again to see the video you decided to share with us. Thank you in advance! Bye, Fe

Giovanna S. ha detto...

Hi Eva!

How are you?

As I could understand from your post, you don’t believe that YouTube can be an educational tool. I must admit that the arguments you gave aren't completely wrong. YouTube contains many silly or offensive videos. Usually (but not always) indecent videos are deleted, but stupid ones remain, and your search can prove difficult. Anyway, I think that usually it’s quite easy to find interesting videos.

In my opinion YouTube is a great source that gives us the opportunity to get information, share our ideas, and improve our English too. This website contains so many videos that usually we can find whatever we’re interested in. I have always used YouTube in order to find songs, pieces of movies, telefilms, documentaries in English. YouTube contains videos aimed at ESL/EFL learners too. I know that TeacherTube can be more useful for language learners, but I think that its collection of videos is not comparable to YouTube repository. If you can’t find YouTube videos aimed at language learners, try searching for pieces of documentaries in English (I know you like them!). You can improve your listening with them as well.

I read in your comment that you prefer podcasts. Anyway, I think we should take advantage of all the tools Web 2.0 offers because we could always find interesting sources. Do you agree with me or not? Let me know! As for the video you posted, I think it’s very interesting as it deals with what we’re doing during our English course. In particular, I like the part about blogs (‘If you give each student a blog you’re empowering the students and providing a much audience for anything they write’).

I tried to underline the positive aspects of YouTube, and I hope you’ll change your mind. ;-)

See you!

Giovanna

alicev ha detto...

Hi Eva,

I agree with you, when you say that it's difficult to spot relevant videos on YouTube because of the huge mass of them. It really seems that there are a lot of people that enjoy wasting time shooting and then uploading senseless videos. However there are many who like watching them also! Like you I try not to waste too much time on websites like YouTube, however we must admit that even YouTube might be a useful source for learning English.
See you!

Alice